Unpacking At The Site

We were told to begin unpacking all our equipment as soon as we got back to the home division. There was mass confusion at first. Not all of the materials had arrived yet, and some of us, myself included, weren’t even sure what part of the factory we were given to settle into. Turned out we were to be located on the second story of the main building right where the PC board production center used to be. I was going to be working in almost the exact same floorspace I did just a few years before. The PC group had been decimated by management in the two or so years since I quit Bill and Dave’s.

All of the rumors floating around back then turned out to be true. Bill and Dave’s outsourced the entire PC business to a Chinese company and the bulk of our employees lost their jobs or were shuffled off to our Micro department. Those who couldn’t find a new job internally by a certain deadline would be given severance. Those who were temporary workers were given a one-way escorted trip through the lobby and shown the door. It was odd to find myself working in the same building on the same floor in almost the exact spot again. No trace of the PC operation was left, even the solder wave machine and it’s own little building was completely removed.

A large piece of poster paper was laid out on a table with a bunch of drawings and hand written notes plastered all over it. This was the floorplan we were to follow when rolling out and setting up all the test racks and workbenches. Everything had a Bekins tag with a number on it and the floorplan had all the corresponding numbers laid out. Bekins offloaded our stuff from their trucks and rolled it through the plant to our area. We had to do the rest. The Drunk wasn’t around as usual so I expected all her kiss asses would evaporate as well and not assist in the unpacking. To my surprise I was wrong. Much more help was available from my loser coworkers and everything went fairly smooth.

Getting the test racks in place and powered up was our top priority. They had to be warmed up for a minimum of 24 hours before we could even think about testing any production boxes on them. That’s the rule. Anytime test racks are powered down no matter what the reason a 24 hour warm up has to take place before they can be used again. No exceptions. Before we left the Spokane division we had done our best to keep production going and get as many boxes as we could ready for test. There was so much to do now that we were home.

A handful of the Spokane employees have come down with us. They will be here for one month just to make sure no serious unforseen problems creep up on us and to also finish training our people. On our line we got Tomcat, The Butcher, Don, and Sharon. I screwed Chuck out of his trip down here by telling The Drunk I didn’t need any further training from him. She was cool with that and Chuck’s hopes for a free trip to California were dashed. He hated me even more after that day. I was laughing on the inside about it.

I heard a few more employees are going to join our group now that we’re back. I’m concerned about that. With the low performance and high amount of drama and personality problems I’ve encountered so far I’m thinking any more new people we get are going to be pure junk.


~ by factorypeasant on March 22, 2005.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: